Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Kumar and The Gobi Stand

The good guys at the gobi stand
Sunday was my day off from practice so Saturday night I went to eat at a little street vendor up the street by Guru's coconut stand that makes vada, gobi, baji, noodle stir fry, and little snacks.  Most of the  yogi's won't eat the street food so I just say that leaves more for me.  Dinner was really good and I met a few friends there Warren and Chris and we all ate and had a great dinner.  I will warn you that if you are not used to Indian level of spice in food here you may want to start off with a little at first. It's not necessarily the spice as it goes into your mouth as much as it is at 2am the next morning.  Spicy is really spicy here but it's some of the best food you'll ever eat.
Baji, vada, plantains

Gobi Manchuria
  Sunday morning I met Tracy and Raymond for lunch at Gokul Chat for idly and upma and had some great chai too.  We were visiting and playing with the local dogs coming up the the table just living it up when I felt a hand on my shoulder.  I looked up and it was Kumar.  Kumar was my rickshaw driver 3 years ago when I was here.  I got up and we hugged.  He sat down with us and we caught up on our lives and what had been going on over the last 3 years.  Kumar informed me that he bought his very own rickshaw and no longer had to rent one so he could do his job.  He would have it payed off in just five months.  This is a pretty big deal.  Most rickshaw drivers rent their rickshaws and have to pay a heavy fee at the end of each month no matter the flow of business.  If a rickshaw driver only makes enough to pay his rental payment it leaves him no money for his family of living expenses.  It's a tough life so for Kumar to finally be purchasing his own puts him and his family in a great position.

Kumar and the new rickshaw
  Kumar got up and signaled for me to follow him over to his new wheels.  I jumped up and followed him over to the edge of the street where his new rickshaw was parked.  He just beamed from ear to ear as he showed me every inch of his new ride.  It is beautiful.  What he is most proud of is he has put his two boys names on the rickshaw.  One of his sons names is on the front and the other of his sons names is on the back.  I made him pose and took his picture in front of the rickshaw.  He puffed out his chest and stepped his feet apart a few spaces and smiled.  Kumar is a proud father and independent business owner.  He looked at me and said.."Jon-a-ton..You have my #...You call..30 minute before..I come and give you ride..."  I said... "New rickshaw has new meter...yes.." Kumar looked at me and smiled and said... "I use no meter...You pay what you want"...  I laughed and said..." ok...to market only 20 rupees..." He laughed and didn't say anything.  A ride to market is 35 to 50 rupees.  I take the bus for 19 rupees.  He knows I take the bus so it's like a running joke.

  Kumar and I walked back over to join Tracy and Raymond and talked for awhile and then Kumar got up and went off to his lunch and back to work. The rest of the day was pretty relaxing and restful.  I walked home and rested for practice on Monday morning.

Son's name in blue on glass
  Practice is going well and I am seeming to make a little progress every day.  When my soreness goes away more finds me the very next day.  I have no complaints.  One thing that my yoga practice has taught me is that anything is possible.  If you had told me when I was in my early twenties I would be traveling to study yoga in India when I was in my thirties I'd probably looked at you and laughed.  It's amazing where life will take you and who it will introduce you to on the way.  The world really is small and we really are all more alike than we are different.  Ask the Universe to teach you something and then sit back and get ready.  You might get your mind blown.




The handsome Kumar

2nd son's name in red on back

No comments:

Post a Comment