Friday, May 24, 2013

Indian Thali

Today after practice I met up with a group of friends at Dasaprakash Hotel in Mysore City for a traditional Indian Thali.  We had planned this for a few days so I was really excited about throwing down on some great Indian food.  I jumped on the 119 bus to Mysore City from Gokulam for my cost of 19 rupees to avoid the rickshaw price gouging of 60 rupees. I not only enjoyed the nice A/C but I got to listen to the local radio station as I enjoyed my view into town.  It's only a 5 minute walk to the Dasaprakash Hotel once you get off the buss at the central bus station.  Easy breezy 19 rupee easy.  Sounds good if you say it fast.

Dasaprakash Hotel
  I found it with no problem.  I remembered it like it was riding a bike.  I would eat here once a week on my last trip to Mysore because for a little over an American $1 you eat like a king.  When you walk into the Dasaprakash Hotel it's kind of like walking into a little community among itself.  They have a Concrete wall around the building that actually becomes the side of the building.  You walk through the gates and you are in a tiny little city.  It's very old and traditional.  There's a doctor on staff and even an ice cream parlor.  I met my friends Tracy, Raymond, Chris, and Warren and we all ate like there was no tomorrow.  I think Tracy might have even eaten her sweet first.  There is nothing worth more then spending the afternoon with your family away from home.  Good people and good food.  That's love. 

Special Thali
Let me explain the Indian Thali.  Most of the time you can choose whether you would like the large or small.  At the Dasaprakash they call the large the "Special Thali".  A Thali is a large round  plate served with several little dishes inside filled with different foods.  It's kind of like a portable tapas buffet on a plate.  In southern India you will get these little dishes filled with curries, dal(lentils), vegetables, curds, raita, sambar, rasam,rice, roti, and usually something sweet.  In some places they will serve the Thali on a banana leaf with a mound of rice in the middle and just come by and spoon ladles of different foods around the rice.  It's tasty and fun either way.

  One thing you can't argue with is that the Indian Thali is the way to go.  It's not only tasty but it's a beautiful way to experience a bunch of flavors at once without having to order a bunch of food you might end up wasting.  After lunch they bring a little leaf stuffed with sweet spices like fennel, cloves, cinnamon and topped with shredded coconut.  It's to help aid in digestion and clean your palate.  Food is always better to enjoy with family and friends so I am very blessed to have both.  Good night and sweet dreams from the magical city of Mysore, Karnataka.

4 comments:

  1. Enjoy - I'm making "take out" tonight. Poor Hank!
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to be following following you again on this, your second journey. So far I'm madly in love with Mr. Gowda and would probably sit all day and talk with him.

    ReplyDelete